Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Beginning, and the Middle, and the End

19 KATHERINES AND COUNTING...
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type is girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun--but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and may finally win him the girl.

(Warning: MAY or MAY NOT contain spoilers. But it sure will. So please, avert your eyes if you haven't read this yet or are planning to read this in the future. Thank you.)
The first time I read this novel by John Green, I was busy with school work and am working on something. Of course I had to stop and continue doing my Performance Tasks because I'm a good student...joke. But yes, come Christmas vacation, I pretty much killed my time reading this. I loved how John Green wrote this book: from being a whiny child prodigy to a sappy teenager who cannot move on from The Katherines. Colin find themselves in Gutshot, Tennesse, not expecting a Eureka moment. They land themselves on a job, live in a pink house and interview the oldsters and employees from a textile factory. Also Colin's complex equations on when will a relationship end and who will be the dumper/dumpee is pretty complicated, but it actually works. All the awards to Mr. Daniel Biss.

And Colin thought: Because like I say I tell someone about my feral hoghunt. Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward--ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter--maybe less than a lot, but always more than none. 

The last line always gets me. I'm sorry if this review sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment