Thursday, May 23, 2013

"...borne back ceaselessly into the past."



You haven't seen The Great Gatsby yet? Well you have to because we saw it last night and God, was I satisfied?! The movie was great because 1) it was in perfect accordance to the book; 2) it's very cinematic (emphasis on the word "very") and; 3) "feel-inducing" feelings, if you know what I mean. I've read the book already and I was very happy about the outcome of the movie. 

Anyway, before I start spoiling you, Carey Mulligan was very good and she portrayed Daisy Buchanan's role very well. You wouldn't think that she's an actress and all but instead, you'd look at her and be like, "oh so that's Daisy Buchanan". She was very elegant and ahhhh she's so beautiful can I have her face? And Leonardo DiCaprio did a good job on the accent especially the "old sport" thing, haha. And really, I don't understand why this man hasn't received any Oscars? (And okay I admit, I see and hear Jack Dawson somewhere and I don't know it's just that it stays there. DO YOU GET ME.)

But okay: the story revolves around Nick Carraway and how he met this mysterious man who lived next door to him. At first he was suspicious of this man's whereabout because he has never seen his face and only a small number of people actually know him by his face. And then he gets invited by this man--later on identified as Gatsby--at his house. Hundreds and hundreds of people come to his house every weekend to enjoy big, lavish parties but here's the catch: they come uninvited. Nick Carraway was one of the few guests who had actually been invited. Turns out that he's doing all these parties for a girl AND THEN IS STOPS THERE BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SEE THE MOVIE GOOD BYE. 

Anyway here's the trailer: 


ALSO, the soundtrack was great! Kind of modern if you ask me but I liked it very much because BeyoncĂ©, Florence + The Machine, Lana Del Rey and The XX were part of the track listing and I am beyond happy because the songs were A+. 

It's just that this movie gave me so much feels just as the book did heeeeeeee. Gatsby is a very rich man who spends his riches ~wisely~ but he himself is never wise when it comes to  dealing with the past because he is a man of feelings and doesn't care about the circumstances and the consequences of his doings and all that jazz. BUT despite his stupid moves he's very sweet and loving and ahh I need a Gatsby in my life (kind of identical to what I felt when I was hoping to find myself a Holden Caulfield). You have to see this movie because if you don't I will get mad and never talk to you again JOKE.

I give this movie an 11/10 rating because I CAN. I want to see it again and again and again and forever and ever amen to the moon and back yes. 

And HAHAHA is this a movie review because I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm not really sure if I make any sense but WHATEVS. 

Okay bye. 

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment