Saturday, April 2, 2016

the wee hours are my favorite hours of the day





Last Sunday, we went to Mow's for Care's birthday party. It was rad, as expected. She had five bands to perform that night. Here are some of my favorite shots. I only have a few because the rest were videos I shot for this music video I am planning to produce.

Anyway, the ride home was my favorite part of the day (next to the time spent at Mow's, of course). It was past one in the morning, with only a few cars roaming the streets of Quezon City. We rode a cab on the way to Dapitan, and all I could think about was how I really admired the night and the look of neon against dark surfaces. Eventually it boiled down to how much I loved being alone, in the dark, and totally unharmed by next day's horrors.

I asked the driver to drop me in front of the McDonald's in Lacson so he could take Julia straight to her home (which was nearby). I was really excited to eat alone and write subpar poetry, but then I was reminded of the picture of my 1,000 pesos in Julia's wallet. So McDonald's would be an out-of-the-question choice for me. I wanted to take pictures of the streets instead but I can't bring myself to bravely take out my camera, as it was very dark, this suspicious young man looking at my bag. So I walked straight to my dorm, took a shower, and watched The Office. Before I went to sleep, I gave myself a quick run-over of the events that happened that night: the bands, the violent hum of the music, the people I was with, the ride home, the quiet berating of the radio in the taxi, the low lights on the road, the wind against my skin, the darkness inside fast food chains that close down by nine in the evening.

It was a simple night, but it would be one of my favorites nights. 

1 comment: